Wednesday, May 15, 2013

Golden Week Retro Game Hunt

So this is my first post on what I am hoping is going to become a long overdue comprehensive blog on my retro game hunting and thrift shop checking during my time living in Japan. Recently I had a bit of vacation time off due to 'Golden Week.' The weather is warming up here in Northern Japan, and there were some great sales going off at the stores around here. I have a few really choice finds here.

First up, two Japan only releases of two games that I absolutely love, with one actually being one of my favorite stories of all time. The 'Square Millennium Collection' of Final Fantasy Tactics, and Brave Fencer Musashiden!


The extras that came in the Final Fantasy Tactics set are great. A hard plaster, stone-looking desk clock with  made with a zodiac monster theme from the different bosses throughout the game. The most memorable maybe being the Angel of Death that is near the one o'clock position. The playing cards are really cool as well with all of the main characters of the game being the face cards, and the male and female versions of normal classes being the numbered cards.These were both found at half off on the last day of their sale and bought at about 10% of the cost I see the selling online for. These are staying in my collection for sure though.

 Millennium Collection Boxes
Final Fantasy Tactics Zodiac Themed Clock

FFT Playing Cards


Next up is a game called Rebus, which was actually released in America under the name, Kartia: The World of Fate. The reason it caught my eye was actually the artwork. It was an Atlus release that had it's design handled by none of than Yoshitaka Amano (of Final Fantasy fame). The game plays like a typical strategy RPG. Nothing that outstanding, but the art itself was worth it alone for me. 

Rebus (PSX; 1998)


Parasite Eve was a game I remember playing a bit at my best friend's house when I was younger. A great game that played like Resident Evil except with a seemingly endless amount of weapon customization made it a trip to find out what kind of quirky weapon you could put together and blow monsters away with. A good one for the collection.

Parasite Eve (PSX; 1998)


Next up is the original 'Persona' title by Atlus. I am not too familiar with many of the newer games in the series, but I know many of my friends claim them to be some of their favorites. For what I picked it up at, I couldn't justify not getting it. 

\
Persona (PSX; 1996)


One of the games introduced to me by my good friend Mike was the original Grandia. I came across this Japanese release bundle of the newer Grandia III as well as a special OST collection that spans all three of the Grandias. Albeit I am not too familiar with number II and III yet, I hope I have the chance to give them a shot soon.


History of Grandia, Sound Adventure Box (PS2: 2005)




This next game is one of my favorites. I clearly remember logging triple digit hours into this game on my original Playstation save file. Star Ocean the Second Story. I now own this alongside the original Star Ocean in box from the SNES. It even came with the official guide to the game which has a good heap of game and concept art as well as character designs. Was extremely happy to come across it.

Star Ocean the Second Story (PSX; 1998)

The next few are games that I am again only vaguely familiar with. I just started the original Tales of Destiny after picking it up, and all I can say is WOW. The battle system that the 'Tales' series is so notable for designing is every bit as deserving of it's notoriety.

Tales of Destiny (PSX; 1998) Tales of Destiny 2 (PS2; 2002)

Tales of Rebirth (PS2; 2004)

The next game, Popolocrois III came to my attention after picking up an art book for one of the original playstation games. The name is quite weird as well to be honest. I am looking forward to delving into the world a bit because the design seems really awesome. 

Popolocrois 3: Have fun pronouncing that!

One of the original Tactical RPG's for the Playstation is Arc the Lad. It became pretty big in Japan and even had a 26 episode anime run off of it. I found it in basically perfect condition for about two U.S. dollars. There was absolutely no reason for me to pass it up.
Arc the Lad (PSX; 1995)


That about wrapped up what I had come across as far as software for the weekend. I will be going back through my collection when I have a bit of time and putting up some of my past buys since I have been here in Japan soon. This entire process of hunting rare and retro games has become somewhat of an addiction to me, so expect to see some more cool things coming up soon as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment